In the face of a significant increase in the numbers of confirmed cases of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in mainland China and other countries, many residents are understandably worried and fearful.
People should continue to practice the same habits they perform to prevent themselves from getting the flu.
- They should wash their hands frequently,
- Elbow or fist bump one another instead of shaking hands or hugging,
- Sneeze or cough into the crook of their elbow.
- Maintain a six foot or greater distance between themselves and anyone who looks ill.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Get a flu immunization to prevent influenza if you have not done so this season.
- The only two needs for face masks are the wearing of a surgical mask if you are ill and going out in public, such as going to the doctor’s office or if you are a health care worker, wearing an N95 mask when you are interacting with patients.
- Above all, people who are starting to feel ill or who are ill, should stay away from others and not go into crowded settings.
CDC Website Links
- Prevention and Preparedness Information
- How the Novel Coronavirus Spreads
- What are the Symptoms of the Novel Coronavirus
- How to Stay Protected
- Frequently Asked Questions
We here at Northampton Area Public Library have taken precautions to help diminish the risk of any illness (including flu and coronavirus) being spread and to keep our patrons and their families safe.
- We currently wipe all common surfaces down with disinfectant.
- We also provide hand sanitizer at our help desk along with tissues.
- We also have soap and water and hands-free dryers in our public restrooms.
- We wipe all keyboards and mice at our public computers with disinfectant.
- We spray disinfect bathroom fixtures and water fountains every evening.